Monday, December 2, 2013

Tea tasting: Teavana White Chocolate Peppermint Rooibos Tea

Rooibos is a plant grown in Africa.  Its leaves are used to make a tisane sometimes called "red tea" or "bush tea."  (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rooibos).

I've not liked any of the various types of rooibos tea I've tried.  I've tried several reputable brands, like Twinings, but most of what I've tried has had an overly grassy or even chalky taste.

I was not expecting to like Teavana's White Chocolate Peppermint Rooibos blend. I was wrong.  Although it tastes nothing like black tea, whatever blend of white chocolate and peppermint Teavana uses in the tisane has removed (or completely masked) the unpleasant (to me) tastes of the rooibos.  The white chocolate provides a mellowing influence; the peppermint tones are candy cane-like, with sweetness as well as mint.  The tea doesn't need sweetener to be palatable, but if you like sweeter tea then I do recommend honey over sugar.  I might even try melting a candy cane in it, being as it is that time of year.  I don't think it will ice well; this is a tea designed to be consumed hot.

I suspect my liking for this rooibos is likely a one time only thing.  While I might try another rooibos mixed with strong flavors, the essential taste of rooibos turns me off.

No comments:

Post a Comment