Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Tea tasting: Tea Forté White Ambrosia

I am all about comfort tea today, so I just brewed up an evening pot of another utter favorite of mine:  White Ambrosia by Tea Forté (http://www.teaforte.com/store/gourmet-tea/white-tea/white-ambrosia/).

The company's website describes it thusly:  "Rarest Pai Mu Tan white tea is plucked in early spring from a special varietal tea bush called "chaicha."  Blended with fragrant Madagascar vanilla and the tropical tea of island coconut.  Delicate, refreshing and divine."

That's a bit over the top, but this is exceptionally nice tea.  It doesn't taste tropical.  I would characterize it as floral.  This isn't the vanilla of sugar cookies or baking.  It's the vanilla of orchids.  The coconut provides a mellowing influence.  I'd call it "refined" rather than delicate.  This is a tea made for china cups and sipping, not travel mugs and blurry morning gulps (and not only because it's low in caffeine).

I did a bit of researching on "Pai Mu Tan," more commonly known as Bai Mudan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bai_Mudan) tea.  It's a white tea, so lightly oxidized after picking, made from both young leaves and plant shoots.  (Drinks, shoots and leaves . . . . yeah, it's a grammar book joke, so sue me.)  Some of the flavor notes in the White Ambrosia clearly come from the tea itself, and not just the additives.  A flowery quality frequently attributed to Bai Mudan tea, so I'm clearly not off base in finding this tea to be more floral than fruity.

I have to end with a shout-out to The Urban Muse (http://www.theurbanmuse.com/), my favorite day spa, located in Denville, NJ, for turning me on to this tea.   They offer Tea Forté teas to customers while they are waiting for services and sell a decent selection of these teas in the shop.


No comments:

Post a Comment