Monday, December 30, 2013

Tea tasting: Adagio's Assam Harmony

Assam tea is so named because it is grown and harvested in and around Assam, India.

I love a good Assam.  It's pure, unadulterated tea.  It's stronger and deeper than the usual run of the mill black tea, sometimes with malty tones and sometimes not.   When I think of "tea," this is the taste I imagine.

Adagio's Assam Harmony (https://www.adagio.com/black/assam_harmony.html) is a good Assam.  It's smooth and full-bodied with the nice palate-clearing bite of black tea.  Some of the reviews on Adagio's website identify undertones of raisin or caramel or malt, but I don't taste any of those.  I just taste pure strong black tea.   There's no bitterness, as you get with cheap blacks.  I love the taste of this tea as tea, but it's got enough depth to stand up to the common practice of adding milk and sugar without losing character.

Taken iced, it's a bracing, refreshing drink.  Again, I like the taste of the tea in itself, so I don't sweeten it at all.  Assam iced tea is excellent with a twist of lime and crushed mint, though.




No comments:

Post a Comment