Sunday, December 1, 2013

Tea tasting: Republic of Tea Rose Petal Tea

This blend was a gift that has been sitting sealed for about a year.  Tea shouldn't be let to sit this long when open, but sealed it is OK (if not optimal).  I've been reluctant to try it because the tea contains rosebuds the size of my fingertips, which are difficult to fit into most tea strainers.  The Tea-1000's basket laughs at rosebuds and brewed me up a nice afternoon pot to go with my Thanksgiving leftovers (stuffed mushrooms and pumpkin spice muffins for lunch).

The Rose Petal Tea is a seasonal blend that will be returning in January 2014 (http://www.republicoftea.com/rose-petal-tea-full-leaf/p/V02000/).

It is a blend of black tea with rose buds and rose petals.  The rose comes through incredibly strongly in the aroma of the tea, but far less so in flavor.  The aroma is a bit too overpowering for me; it's reminiscent of the evil potpourri my grandmother once gave me, which I had to dispose of using four garbage bags and tongs.   The rose scent dissipates after the tea has brewed for a while, making it palatable by the time it has cooled off enough to drink.  Fortunately.  

So, I'll drink it and finish the tin, but I'm unlikely to buy another tin.  If you're a big fan of roses, you might enjoy it more.

2 comments:

  1. How did the rose petal and the pumpkin spice blend? I might think that the cinnamon would fight the rose, and that would affect your enjoyment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried the tea before eating the muffins; no blending.

      Delete