Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Tea tasting: Adagio's Almond Oolong

The flavor of almonds is not to everyone's taste.  But if you are a fan of marzipan or almond cookies (which I am), then Adagio's Almond Oolong (http://www.adagio.com/oolong/almond_oolong.html) is a delight.

Opening the package yields an overwhelming scent of sweet almond, like opening a package of good marzipan.  The aroma of the brewed tea is subtler and lighter, fortunately, because even loving almond I don't think I'd be able to drink something as almondy as the scent of the raw tea.

Oolongs are full-bodied teas with an interesting array of flavor notes of their own depending on the exact preparation.  The almond flavoring and the oolong work well together; a less assertive tea would be overwhelmed.  The almond heightens the sweeter tones of the oolong and adds a smoothness after the initial tang of the tea.

I don't like what sweetener does to this tea; it unbalances the flavors.  I tried sweetening it both with honey and Sugar in the Raw (http://www.intheraw.com/products/sugar-in-the-raw/), but neither did anything good to the taste.

 I also definitely think this tea is best hot.  It's a soothing, gentle flavor mix that wants warmth.

Drinking this tea makes me want to go into the kitchen and bake either sugar or almond cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment