Sunday, January 26, 2014

Tea tasting: David's Teas' Stormy Night

Now that my taste buds have returned, I was all ready to do a full review of a tea worth tasting.  Unfortunately, this very interesting tea isn't currently available from David's.  It may be seasonal, or it may be that it simply was not very popular.  I picked it up in May in Quebec City.

The tea smells like German chocolate cake -- chocolate, cinnamon and coconut, with a hint of vanilla.  Cinnamon and coconut dominate the flavor when brewed mildly.  When brewed more strongly, the chocolate chunks mixed in with the leaves can make the tea seem muddy. but they do intensify the chocolate flavor.  The chocolate chunks also make cleaning out the tea ball or tea strainer quite the pain in the butt.

This is really an afternoon or evening tea; I can't see being able to appreciate something this complex in the morning.  Since I try to avoid caffeine in the afternoon and evening, I don't dip into Stormy Night very often.

If your taste runs this way, and David's decides to bring it back, it's worth picking up a small pouch.

No comments:

Post a Comment