Monday, February 17, 2014

Tea tasting: Harney & Sons' Organic Passion Plum

After two tastings of insipid white teas, I was in the mood for something bold and flavorful, so I went to the sample of Harney & Sons' Organic Passion Plum (https://www.harney.com/organic-passion-plum.html), which promised me "Sweet fruit flavors with a spicy twist from the cinnamon, as well as hibiscus and citrus flavors."  This herbal tisane is made from hibiscus, cinnamon, rose hips, orange peel, ginger and passion fruit.  All else being equal, I figured it was unlikely to be boring.

The aroma is far from boring.  It smells like Christmas plum pudding, a lovely blend of fruit and cinnamon.  And the brew is a gorgeous deep red purple color that makes me think about buying velvet.

The taste, thank God, is not boring.  It is fruity, complex and surprisingly plum-like for having no plum in the tisane.   The cinnamon and the hibiscus come out strongly in the aftertaste.  The hibiscus in particular adds this weird tartness in the finish, but adding honey cures that quite nicely.

My one complaint is that the tea is a little gritty because the cinnamon added to the tisane is finer than the strainer of the T-1000.  If I buy more of this tea, which I might, I will make it with the paper tea pouches to avoid this problem.







No comments:

Post a Comment