Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Tea tasting: Christmas Teas, part 1

It's that time of year, so I picked up two Christmas-themed teas that I haven't tried before.   I'm not excited about either of them.  As a result, I will be stopping by Barnes and Noble tomorrow to get proper Christmas tea from Harney & Sons (one of my personal favorites).

Teavana's Joy 2016 was deeply disappointing.  To me, it has nothing to do with the smells or tastes of Christmas.  It is a blend of black tea plus oolong plus jasmine.  While it is a perfectly fine jasmine tea, jasmine is not a flavor or smell I associate with Christmas.  The jasmine is strong without being overwhelming.  So, if jasmine fits with your winter holiday celebrations, it's probably perfect for you.  For myself, I'll be saving this for after the holidays (probably for the depths of February).


Twinnings' Christmas Tea has the right cinnamon and clove flavors to make me think of gingerbread and pfeffernusse, but it's somewhat tame.  I think I've been spoiled by Harney & Sons' more vigorous blending of flavors.  If you aren't a fan of heavily flavored teas, I'd recommend Twinnings.   It's far from bad tea, because it's based on a good quality black, but it's not what my palate is really wanting right now.

Tomorrow or Thursday there will be more Christmas teas reviewed!

No comments:

Post a Comment