Thursday, March 20, 2014

Tea tasting: Republic of Tea's Downton Abbey English Rose

I am a bad Anglophile.  I've just never been able to warm up to Downton Abbey.  Even my great love of Dame Maggie Smith hasn't gotten me through an episode.  Ah well.  You may heap your scorn upon me.

I was given a tin of Republic of Tea's Downton Abbey English Rose herbal (http://www.republicoftea.com/downton-abbey-english-rose-tea/p/V20177/) and was quite skeptical.  It bills itself as a blend of raspberry, hibiscus and rose hips.   Regular readers know my dislike of strong hibiscus flavors in tea.  There's something too tart and astringent about hibiscus; it needs to be handled carefully.

I was pleasantly surprised by the English Rose.  The overwhelming flavor is a mellow, smooth raspberry.  There's some tartness from the hibiscus, but it's only the barest hint.  There's also none of the overwhelming potpourri rose aroma that I found in the last "rose" tea from Republic of Tea that I tried.

I like the smoothness; I can't imagine wanting to sweeten this tea.  I'm going to make a pot for icing when the weather finally turns spring-like this weekend.  It expect it will be excellent.

No comments:

Post a Comment