Monday, November 14, 2022

Adagio's April in Paris

 A spring-themed tea seems odd for this time of year, but it's a new release and incorporates some of my favorite flavors, so here we are.   Adagio Teas can be very very good or very very mediocre, depending on the blend, so let's see what this one turns out to be.

April in Paris bills itself as "black and oolong teas, with sweet pomegranate, vanilla, and light touches of bergamot and caramel flavors."  I'm not sure what makes this particularly Parisian, but whatever.  Opening the sample package, I'm smacked in the face by a sugary caramel smell that reminds me immediately of Kraft caramels at Halloween.  This is not entirely a good memory - that much sweetness makes my teeth hurt.

Instructions say brew at 212 F for 3 minutes, and I did that.  I'm starting out brewing it straight - no sugar, no milk, no honey, etc.  Yes, 2.5-3 minutes is exactly the right steep.  I fumbled the timing on the first cup and ruined it by brewing it too long.

Even without tea, the brew is slightly sweet.  It's neither fruity nor caramel-y, but the bergamot is definitely right there and the vanilla is bringing up the rear.  Putting honey in it brings out the caramel and the pomegranate somewhat more.  The bergamot is pushed back to the aftertaste, but not far enough.  

I wish this blend balanced better.  There's so many flavor notes, but the bergamot is bullying them all.  Bergamot is an asshole.  I think the tea would be better without any bergamot at ALL.  Pomegranate, vanilla and caramel would be more than enough.

I'm going to give this one a B- for a great idea but a very meh execution.  It's not BAD.  It's simply not all it could be.  

I may experiment blending this tea with a strong vanilla tea and find out what happens.


No comments:

Post a Comment