Monday, March 2, 2020

Guest Review: O-Organics Sparkling Green Tea

From my friend Lilli Haicken:

Usually I am a roasted bean person, but there are times I want tea, and its generally something unusual I go for.

I was browsing in the local ACME store aisles, and came across something that looked interesting - an O-Organics Sparkling Green Tea. Sparkling? As in fizzy? I picked up the fairly heavy glass bottle, noting that the liquid inside bubbled as I did. It was a shade of soft green-gold, with lots of bubbles. The bottle's label had a stamp that said 'Product of Italy' as well. I decided to give it a try.

It sat in my refrigerator for a few weeks. Like I said earlier, I'm a roasted bean person mostly. Then I caught the flu that got through this year's flu shot. Argh. Between bouts of coughing, I reached for tea. Hot to start, to soothe the sore throat, but once that calmed down enough, I wanted something else. And the bottle of fizzy tea leaped out at me when I opened the fridge.

It pours nicely, like a fizzy drink should. Lots of small bubbles and soft hissing as the bubbles churn. On first whiff it smelled gently citrusy. When I looked further at the label, the ingredients listed include organic lemon juice. A first sip was startling. It tasted a lot like a lighter, more green ginger ale. The notes of green tea are there, very gentle. The fizz makes it feel quite nice going down a still slightly sore throat. Over all, it's a delightful surprise. Fizzy, bright and lightly sweet (yes, the label lists cane sugar as one of the ingredients, something I only discovered after drinking it).

I suspect it would go quite nicely with a warm pastrami sandwich.

No comments:

Post a Comment