Tuesday, January 20, 2015

In praise of a good Assam

Assam is a province in north-east India where tea is grown.  When it comes to uncomplicated black tea, Assam is a tea's tea.   It's smooth and dark and slightly malty, with a fresh finish.   It stands up to milk, sugar and honey.   So don't reach for some crappy, characterless orange pekoe thing.  Reach for some Assam!  

Twinings sells a darn fine Assam that can be purchased and shipped through Amazon.

I like Harney & Sons' Assam in both caffeinated and decaf forms

Taylors of Harrowgate's Assam is findable in many high-end supermarkets and again, orderable through Amazon.

The lovely +Cezilia Raposa brought me some excellent small-batch Assam this weekend, from Soluna Garden Farm.   I've been limited in my ability to appreciate it by the awful head cold of death, but I plan to try some as soon as I regain my sense of taste.



No comments:

Post a Comment