Thursday, May 8, 2014

Tea Tasting: Cuppa Cake Tea Lemon Chiffon

Apologies for the long silence.  Life happens.

Today's tasting is from the Cuppa Cake Teas line made by Republic of Tea: Cuppa Cake Tea Lemon Chiffon.   It bills itself as caffeine-free green rooibos with lemon, vanilla and coconut.

I'd never heard of green rooibos.  After doing a little research, I found that "green" rooibos is rooibos treated according to the same method as green tea leaves.  I like it far better than the usual red rooibos, which I find has an unpleasant chalky undertone.

The Lemon Chiffon is an odd tea.  I know what it wants to be -- a sort of liquid lemon meringue pie.  It does and doesn't quite achieve that.  There's something missing, at least for me.  There should be a richer, more golden flavor here.  It's one of the few teas that I find needs a little bit of sweetening in order to achieve its best flavor when I drink it hot.  If iced, the flavor profile tends more towards the coconut and I don't need sweetener.

All in all, my jury is still out on this tea.  I want to experiment with adding some agave syrup or other kinds of sweetener and see how those play out.


No comments:

Post a Comment