Wednesday, March 1, 2023

Old Barrel Tea's Prickly Pear

 I generally do not like rooibos, so I am pleasantly delighted by how much I enjoy Old Barrel Tea's Prickly Pear tea, which I received as a gift from friends.

Ingredients:  green rooibos, sencha green tea, hibiscus, pear pieces, safflower, and natural flavors

Brew Instructions: "1 - 2 teaspoons in 8 oz of hot water for 5 minutes"  

The company doesn't specify what temperature of water is "hot" so I've tried brewing the tea at both boiling (212°F) and short of boiling (185°F).  I can't detect a meaningful difference in flavor.

The brew is a tiny bit fruity and very slightly tart, with a citrus-like note sort of like a sweet grapefruit.  I've never eaten an actual prickly pear, so for all I know this is how they taste.  I couldn't imagine adding sweetener to this flavor, so I haven't experimented with sugar or honey.  It's enough all by itself.   I like drinking it as a palate cleanser after I've eaten something with strong flavors.  It's easy and refreshing.

I give his tea a wholly unexpected A grade.


No comments:

Post a Comment