Saturday, April 25, 2020

Harney & Sons' Boston blend

The Boston blend is one of Harney & Sons' newer teas.  I'm pleased to report that it's excellent.

This is a caffeinated black tea with flavors of cranberry, almond and vanilla.  When brewed, the aroma is vanilla and almond and tea.  But the flavor puts all of these individual elements together into a very interesting, tasteful whole.  It's got a bare hint of smokiness and a taste that somehow manages to read in my mouth as "wood-paneled library with antique leather couches."  If Harvard or Trinity Church had a taste, it would be this.[1]

OK, so what does this really mean?  It means that, if I swish the tea around my mouth a bit, I can find the distinct notes of cranberry and vanilla.  The almond is in there somewhere but it seems to be bolstering up the other flavors rather than raising its own flag.  It's definitely not a sweet or fruity tea.

I really like it quite a lot and I'll be buying more when my sample runs out.  Now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go listen to The Cars[2] for a while.




[1] As a Harvard Law grad, I highly recommend *against* licking anything at Harvard to see how it tastes.  Up to and including professors.  I was only in Trinity Church twice during all my time in Boston -- I can't say if they're more open to being licked.

[2]  Yes, they're from Boston. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cars)  And I like them way more than Aerosmith.

No comments:

Post a Comment