Sunday, July 31, 2016

Tea Grotto's Fig and Lavender Black Tea

On my recent trip out to Salt Lake City, I picked up Fig and Lavender Black tea from the local tea house, the Tea Grotto.  This tea is one of the ones the Tea Grotto has available for on line purchase.

For various reasons, it's taken since early May for me to get around to tasting this tea.  It's . . . I suppose the best word is interesting.  

I definitely like the flavor, but it is not going to be for everyone.  The fig flavor predominates, leaving the lavender to come out in the aftertaste and in the aroma.  On top of that, there's also a mineral-like quality that lingers.  I find this mineral water flavor in other black teas -- predominantly the black teas from the Fujian area of China -- so it may come from the base tea used to create the blend.

This is a rich tea, but not really a sweet one, much like actual figs rather than Fig Newtons.  The brew is brisk and palate-cleansing.  It ices extremely well.   It sweetens best with a buckwheat honey.

No comments:

Post a Comment