Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Tea tasting: Tea Forté's Kiwi Lime Ginger

My newly blossomed head cold demands a lot of tea, and that tea needs to have flavor and not have caffeine.   So, I opened my sample package of Kiwi Lime Ginger herbal tea by Tea Forté.

My initial reaction is not promising.  The brew smells sort of like cough medicine, and not in a good way.  The aroma fairly reeks of ginger, with a sharp slightly unpleasant citrus overtone.  Looking back over the ingredients, I see the "problem": organic honeybush, organic ginger root, organic rooibos, organic lemon peel, natural kiwi flavor and natural lime flavor.

Ugh.   I wasn't expecting a tea billed as "herbal" to be rooibos-based.  Ugh.   But I will soldier boldly on in order to give you a proper review.

If I hold my nose, the flavor of the tea is no more than adequate.  It's not particularly flavorful, unfortunately.  There's a very little citrus bite in the background.  The ginger is relegated to an aftertaste.  It certainly doesn't make up for the sheer unpleasantness (to me) of the aroma.

I've got some single-steep packages left.  If you don't object to the scent of rooibos, I'll happily give them away to someone who might enjoy them.


No comments:

Post a Comment