Sunday, October 19, 2014

Tea Tasting: Oriental Route tea, from Thailand

+Wendy Marques brought me back tea from one of her trips to Thailand.  She has been waiting patiently for hot tea season to come around for me to sample it.  I finally did so this morning.

This is a fascinating tea.  It's very high quality black tea mixed with cinnamon sugar, jasmine, rose petals, sunflower petals and cornflower blossoms.  There are multiple layers of flavor going on, and they shift depending on the temperature of the tea, whether honey is added, and what you are eating with the tea.  The easiest notes to notice are the rose and cinnamon, but after a moment, you can also taste something like sunflower seeds.  It tasted slightly different with my morning bagel (a little more flowery) than it did with my afternoon snack of almonds and dried cranberries (more cinnamon and cardamon notes).  The taste also varied depending on the type of honey I used to sweeten it.  The buckwheat honey emphasized the cinnamon, while the clover honey strengthened the rose and cornflower.

I cannot say how much I love this tea.  Drinking it is an adventure.  I'm definitely going to have to see if it's available anywhere in the U.S.  Or hope +Wendy Marques goes back to Thailand some time soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment