Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Tea Tasting: Celestial Seasonings' Sangria Zinger

I am always a little leery of Celestial Seasonings' "Zinger" teas.  The "Zing" in the "Zinger" is hibiscus, which needs to be wielded very carefully lest it overwhelm all of the other flavors.  I picked up the Sangria Zinger because it was on sale and because, with two of the three of us in the house having colds, we're going through tea like, well, water.  :-)

Imagine my surprise when this tisane brewed up as some of the best decaf iced tea I've had recently.  I used 8 tea bags to 2 quarts of water and steeped for about a half hour.  The resulting brew is fresh, fruity and yes, zingy.  In addition to hibiscus, the tisane contains blood orange, pineapple and other citrus flavors.  The blood orange is strongest without wiping out the other tones.  It doesn't quite have the depth of a red sangria, but it's very close. 

I can't imagine putting sugar or other sweetener into this iced tea.  The flavors are bold and zesty enough without any bitterness.   Enjoy it for the brew itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment