Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Tea tasting: my Maggie's Chocolate Chip Mint specialty blend

This blend is inspired by Maggie the Dog and her white and black-spotted coat, which always reminds me of chocolate chip mint ice cream.



To make Maggie's Chocolate Chip Mint, I combined Adagio's Cocomint Green Tea with spearmint tea, peppermint tea, and chocolate chips.

The aroma of out of the bag and when brewing is delightful.  The chocolate insinuates itself in and around the predominantly mint aroma.  I quite like how the teas all blend together to make a mint that is neither entirely peppermint nor entirely spearmint.

The taste is wholly minty at first, then the chocolate sneaks up in the aftertaste.  As a hot tea, it has all of the soothing, relaxing qualities of a good mint tea with that extra hint of chocolate to make it interesting.  It's got green tea in the blend, so it's not completely caffeine free.  Even so, it's definitely a nice evening tea.  I've got to try it hot with honey to see what that does to the flavor profile.

It's also quite splendid as an iced tea, needing no sugar from my point of view.  Again, the minty flavor blend predominates, with the chocolate elements sort of sneaking their way in and around the mint.

As there are now many chocolate-based blends in Alys's Tea Party, I'm not going to tinker around with the chocolate vs. mint proportions on this one.  It's mint with chocolate chips, and that works just fine for me.   

No comments:

Post a Comment