Friday, March 20, 2015

In which Alys tries to love rooibos and fails

Rooibos is a "a broom-like member of the legume family of plants" according to Wikipedia.  Its leaves are used to make what is called "red tea."   I have tried and tried and tried to like red tea, but I'm ready to call my efforts a complete failure.

To my taste buds, there is something almost chemical and artificial about the flavor.  Red tea doesn't have the sharpness of proper black or green tea, and attempts to add fruits and other flavorings don't complement it as well as straight up herbal teas.  It tastes to me the way dyes smell.


My latest good faith effort to learn to enjoy rooibos was trying Tea Forte's Swiss Apple.  About the nicest thing I can say about it is that I did not rinse my mouth out after drinking it.  It's supposed to taste of apple, cinnamon and chocolate.  I don't taste any of those things.  All I taste is the rooibos and I just can't like that taste.   On the other hand, the tea smells amazing, so maybe someone who likes rooibos will find it appealing.

No comments:

Post a Comment